Well I honestly have to admit, this was the hardest exercise to get into. Not only did my mind wonder many times, but trying to stay focused towards the end, well that was testy for me. I did however feel the exercise at the beginning, and using the sound of the water of the ocean, I was able to calm my self enough to focus on opening up my heart. When it came to helping others around me, I got a sence that my body was weighed down. I had to try and focus on light feelings to try and get rid of the dark I was feeling. Towards the end, it was interrupted by the dogs playing outside, and that made me smile and loose focus. I will try this again, probably in the night time and see if that makes a difference. :)
Denise
I can say this was a mental workout, trying to stay focused was hard, the time between her voice to focus on another element was a bit long, it left too much time for my mind to wonder. This probably would not be one of the exercises I would recommend for the fact that it leaves too much room for wondering minds. If someone is already experiencing stress, they probably would not have the mindset to stay focused on the exercise.
ReplyDeleteAS for concepts of mental workouts, they are used to help keep the mind strong, and learn to focus on specifics. When we keep the mind going, we allow ourselves to be open to other aspects of life and living. Allowing the mind to be trainable also helps us to find ways to cope with everyday problems and issues that arise with less stress within.
If you can learn to practice mental workouts daily, then you learn how to relax and learn to lessen the stress in your life, you also open your thoughts which in turn gives you more room for information and learning.
Denise,
ReplyDeleteI truly understand the issue of your mind wandering during this exercise, for me the water just made me have to go to the bathroom. That plus my son had a bloody nose and issues cleaning himself up. I try and get a few minutes to focus on the exercises but it gets hard, but hopefully with more mental workouts I can achieve at least one 5 minute period of rest and relaxation. Stay strong.
Hi Denise:
ReplyDeleteI also find it difficult to be able to focus on what the meditation tells me to do. Sometimes it helps me to just simply work on focusing on my breath, just think only about breathing in and breathing out. And I find I have to have some kind of connection to what is being said. If it is just random and I have no real "reason" for doing what they are saying I have more trouble focusing. I have an interest in chakras so the Unit 3 meditation interested me. I have a daughter that is going thru troubled times so I could send her lots of loving kindness. Generic meditations I struggle with. Keep after it, I imagine you'll find something that works for you :-)
~Helen
I think after a few times of practicing will help with concentration. I usually have to wait at night to do these exercises too because I know for sure I will be interrupted by "mommy where is the milk." Anyhow, I have been trying to do some mental exercises throughout the day or at night before I go to bed and the more I practice the better I get at it. The other day my nose was so stuffed I couldn't even fall asleep. So I imagined the ocean, the smell, the wind, the sound and imagined that the water was running up and down my body like it runs up and down the shore and that every time the ocean water ran back down my body it was also decongesting my nose. Before I knew it, I was out like a light and woke up feeling well rested! Anyhow, the more we practice, the better the concentration.....Good luck on the next exercise, hope its more successful!
ReplyDeleteElissa